1. Computing
Andy O'Donnell

What To Do If You've Been Scammed Online

By April 7, 2013

Have you become the victim of an online scam? The clock is ticking. You need to act quickly to try and stop the scammers before they make off with any more of your money or open accounts using your identity.

In this week's featured article, Help! I've Been Scammed Online!, we'll talk damage control and go over some steps you can take to help stop the scammers from further damaging your good name and your credit score.

Have you ever been the victim of an online scam? Let us know your story in the comments section below:

Comments
April 15, 2013 at 1:44 pm
(1) Jarmo Luukka says:

I have never been scammed

April 15, 2013 at 2:26 pm
(2) Terri says:

How funny it was to see this today just after getting off the phone with my bank cancelling my credit card since someone had stolen the number and went on a spending spree. I was fortunate that one of the places they ordered from had my address and sent me a “Thank you for ordering” email. I immediately cancelled the order, shot off a message to the company that my card # was stolen, and then called the bank to cancel the card. I think people who do this need to be taken out and shot by their victims.

April 26, 2013 at 2:34 pm
(3) Jimmy says:

Joined a site called Dating Disabled and, despite numerous requests, could not get them to cancel premium membership later on.
They ignored all requests and kept taking money from the bank every month.
Eventually had to get help from VISA to stop the scam.
I think that the fact that the site was dealing with disabled people led them to believe that they could get away with anything.
Would caution people to beware of this website.

June 1, 2013 at 7:38 am
(4) See more information regarding promote me pro says:

This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
I’ve joined your feed and look ahead to in quest of extra of your excellent post. Additionally, I have shared your website in my social networks

June 25, 2013 at 2:27 am
(5) Marina says:

I just recently got scammed on Instagram. I really thought I was getting a good buy for a laptop but little did I know that it was a scam. I have the name and phone number of the person I sent MY money to. I’m so incredibly pissed off and I just want my freaken money back. Stupid Alexius Jackson from Florida!

June 25, 2013 at 2:47 am
(6) James says:

I just made the stupid mistake of send some money to what I thought was a legitimate Chinese company through Western Union.
I know that money is gone but I’m worried because I sent them my address and (they also have my email).

Can they get any more out of me or am I worrying because I feel a bit stupid?

July 17, 2013 at 8:36 pm
(7) Timmy Rader says:

I just lost $5000 to eAutomotors-traders as soon as they got my money there site disappeared.I feel so stupid.Any advise.

August 2, 2013 at 3:11 pm
(8) Karen Young says:

Got scammed by person claiming he wanted to help me with finances. He remotely deposited checks into my banking account which put money into my checking account. Said he was a philanthropist who helped persons and I believed him. Anyway, after depositing money into my checking account, he deposited more money into my account and asked me to western union money overseas to needy person in Nigeria. I did and everything went okay. The next day he deposited more funds into my account and asked me to western union more money to the same person. But western union declined so he told me to money gram money to that same person. This went on for two days. On the third day, all the checks deposited were returned. My bank froze my account and closed my debit card. The person was so believable. Lesson learned, if something is too good to be try, it probably isn’t. I have to pay back all the transactions I made.

August 12, 2013 at 4:09 am
(9) clarie says:

i made an online payment which was almost equal to my months salary.
the person had many good reviews and customer satisfaction reports every where..he even showed me bills and proof of sending out orders to his previous clients.. there were many reviews that he was not a scam and a genuine dealer!!
i feel so stupid right now!!! I have his email id and bank account number.. do u think i will get my money back??

January 31, 2014 at 7:05 pm
(10) katelin says:

Ive been scammed of 400$. Its one of the worst feelings. You cant really understand til you go through it. It was from a page on instagram with a way to make more money. Suposedly they add more zeros to the amount they say. I was low on money so I tried it. Long story short the process was done on the phone, sent my cash, expected to get a call back to have a money transfer from western union and no call. I felt stupid.why do we feel stupid when we lose something or get robbed? Its a mistake and the scammers are to blame. Thats my way of healing from this. But im still young and I have a job so ill recover (: Reap what you sow!

February 17, 2014 at 8:32 pm
(11) Rohan says:

I have been a victim of a eBay scam they told me the buy it now button didn’t work and to have my paypal account details so I sent then off then I received an email from a fake paypal site saying that the money won’t be transferred into my account until I pay $400 freight threw western union to the head office. I paid the money then to receive another email from this fake pay pal saying they were going to pay me an extra $300 to pay the insurance for the freight. That’s when I realised it was a scam. Don’t send money to Nigeria
Don’t send money to akintunde damola
We should be aloud to shoot the pricks

February 19, 2014 at 6:50 pm
(12) Cristal says:

I got scemmed two days ago for 2000 dollars on line. I was suppost to be buying a range rover. And i went got a money order for this amount. I was told to send a fax with the recipt and they picked up thd money order yoused the recipt ass a refund. And they keept the money? I dont know what to do?

February 21, 2014 at 9:05 am
(13) austin says:

I just got scammed outta of a $169 trying to buy products of a website called ooshoes2.com suppose to be in china. I sent money western union a week ago they said they would send tracking num soon as payment was recieved never heard back what can i do to stop the scammers

February 25, 2014 at 4:17 am
(14) patrinah dikitso ngidi says:

i have been scammed two days ago,they told me that i should send P10,000.00 through western union,so that they can clear the parcel which was waiting at Durban Port for clearance,i was very fortunate because i was warned before so i didi not send that money but am afraid that these people have got passport numbers and my emails

February 27, 2014 at 10:53 pm
(15) Brandon says:

I ordered several items from this clothing site called “wish” its been two months and I haven’t gotten my packages. I tried to call’no number only e-mail. Why are people so dishonest. They are stationed in China don’t order from them.. Their horrible

March 2, 2014 at 10:54 am
(16) Amber khan says:

I was on a dating site called connecting singles I thought I meet a genuine loving romantic 57 year old guy.We spoke 5 mths over the phone , never skyped or sent tex messages as he said he was on an oil rig in Ireland. He used another mans identy and also the identy of this mans children and said there were his . He built trust and loving issues and soon I was a victim to a preditor named Louis Vermaak. He stole money and my dignity , I was a fool to be lured in by this man . He has a heavy accent and says hes half British and half Indian. But by the accent I think he may be South African.Stay away from this man , he will only give you pain and heartache, Also I found my self watching dr phil and there was a scammer there named Terry he is the same guy so ladies please don’t be fooled by this man. As soon as anyone asks for money run the other way.

March 3, 2014 at 11:02 am
(17) steve says:

Please help I was just scammed on insta gram for some shoes…

March 18, 2014 at 5:11 am
(18) Sampo says:

I got scammed in that website. I needed to convert my paysafecards to my paypal account. I should have known better. I started googling that website and it turned out it was a scam site. Well it wasn’t that much money but I still regret it :/

March 23, 2014 at 1:28 pm
(19) barbara says:

i have been scammed through credit card fraud, i was given 15 credit cards and have lost the house me and my husband are homeless, and tesco are one of the worst, they took our home away from us

March 25, 2014 at 2:26 pm
(20) joyce says:

I’ve also been scammed through instagram. We agreed on trading some shoes for a purse. I never got my part of the trade. Please help.

March 30, 2014 at 9:52 pm
(21) Cheryl Newman says:

I just got scammed on Ebay. I thought I was buying a brother pr600 embroidery machine. I received a email that said transaction had been started on the machine that looked like a real invoice from ebay. I was told to get 4 reloadit cards and put 500 each on them that way they seller would receive his money quicker and could ship the item within 3 days. This guy gave me the name of Eric Parker and address of 652 CR 3309 Clarksville ark. After I sent him 2000. I never received another email from him. I have contacted everyone I know of and will be going to the sheriffs office tomorrow to file a report. I am like everyone else on here I am so mad not only at him but at myself because I should have seen the signs and didn’t

April 5, 2014 at 7:28 am
(22) *aul says:

Just got scammed by pycity.com. for $1043 for an Apple laptop that I never received. Had to pay with an Amazon gift card. And to top it off this site is still up and running still scamming people.

April 8, 2014 at 10:36 am
(23) corey c says:

just got scammed by pycity.com for 500 bucks for a tv. now the site is gone. please help.

April 9, 2014 at 4:09 pm
(24) Moegsien says:

I have been scammed and it’s not even my money. I was going to buy my little sis her first car,what do I tell her now.